Wednesday, June 20, 2007

To Pierce or Not to Pierce...?


So, of course I think I have the most beautiful little baby girl in the world. Hair or no hair, I look into those sparkly blue eyes and see my precious little beauty of a girl. Too bad other people just don't see what I see. Violet can be dressed in pink from head to toe and people will still ask me what "his" name is! I didn't have to worry about this with Lydia at this age. She had so much hair, I could put little piggy tails or barrettes on top of her head.


We were at the mall a few weeks ago and I had two different people say what a cute little boy Violet is. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but I quickly ran to Claire's and bought a bunch of little headbands for her to wear that had to match about everything she has. I thought this was a great idea and it wasn't to expensive. Too bad she doesn't keep them on for more than a few minutes at a time!


I don't know how I feel about piercing her ears. Peyton's look really cute and Tegan has never had a problem with them. She did get them done a lot earlier though. Maybe Violet will pull on them now that she's older. Then there's the question of "Well, then will we have to pierce Lydia's ears?" I asked Lydia if she wanted to get hers done and she said "not until I'm 5!". Also, as for her not being able to make the decision herself, she could always just take them out if she didn't want them any more.


As far as the pain issue, Tegan also said that babies don't have as much feeling in their ear lobes as we do. I decide to test this out a little bit. I know it sounds cruel, but I just (very) lightly pinched Violet's ear lobe with my fingernails to see if she'd respond. No response. So, I pinched a little harder to see if she'd at least look at me like "What are you doing, Mom?" No response. Maybe she doesn't have much feeling there. I read some comments about it online and someone said they only cry for a little bit, if at all, and that it's a lot less painful then immunizations.


So, any opinions whether I should do it or not? The picture does look pretty cute!


3 comments:

Tegan said...

I love the idea!! I think you should do it! But it's getting Ryan to agree. Joel didn't want to to pierce Peyton's but I did it anyways.....Joel got over it really fast as soon as he saw how cute it was! Good luck!

The Graham Family said...

I don't know. I have had almost the exact same battle in my head with myself over weather to pierce Sophie's. (When she was a little younger) We asked Ella if she would want hers and she said not yet. She is afraid of the pain. I don't think we will do hers anymore for a while now. If we did, we wouldn't know if she was talking about her ears or her pigtails when she talked about her ows. LOL. I think Violet is a beautiful GIRL! I know it is frustrating when people say boy, but just smile and say thanks. She will get hair! Love you!!!!

Liz Ferguson said...

I think Violet looks sweet either way. Although I am totally partial to baby girls with earings. We had Anna's pierced when she was around 6 months, and I would totally do it again if we had another girl.

If your only reason to get her ears pierced is because you want her to look more like a girl (and fyi I think she is a beautiful girl...I don't think she looks like a boy) then I wouldn't do it! Just my 2 cents! :)