Friday, April 4, 2008

Ode to the '68 VW Squareback

When I met Ryan, I drove a gold '68 VW Squareback. It was the cutest car I've ever seen. If anyone has owned a vintage VW, I'm sure you understand what it's like. You love them until you're broke, and then you move on. Someday, I wish to have a fully restored (restoration done by someone else please) one like this.

Here is I poem I wrote in her memory...


To the '68 squareback that once was my ride
I think of once having you and smile with pride
Not just because your shape was so sweet
but that I've lived to talk about our cruisin' the streets
You came to me battered, dull and abused
seeing the smile above your bumper I couldn't refuse
I called you "Zucker",
sugar in German
(Under your front I found nests left from vermin)
Driving you was a day at the park
apart from the squealing, sputtering and sparks
Pumping the breaks, hoping they'd work
'till relieved, I felt that old herky jerk
I gave you my love, almost all of my pay
but alas "You can do it!" was all I could say
So I released you to roam with some hippie chick
who left you in California cuz she couldn't drive a stick
Because of the rocks clogging your gas pump
you are probably rotting away in a dump.
I'll never forget you!

2 comments:

Grandma B said...

OPEN FOR SUGGESTIONS !!! When you are old and gray...and have lots of money to spare (oh sure, we can all dream, can't we), buy one to cruise around in. I can just imagine you cruising Logan in your car. Sometimes, the old stuff is still the best. Ask me how I know that. Love your poem...did you write it? LOL

Grahamommy said...

This is soooo cute. What a fun tribute. I just love it. I love you and miss you. I love your creativity and fun sense of humor.