Tuesday, February 10, 2009

American Sign Language

"ASL"

I am taking a class in American Sign Language this semester at USU. I needed to fulfill a language requirement for my gen ed credits, so I thought this would be the most interesting language to take. I have also always been fascinated when I watch an interpreter doing sing language. It looks so fluid and beautiful.
Since I am an artist and a dancer, I thought that it might come easy to me being a visual, almost dance-like language. Well, I'm through the first month and it hasn't quite clicked for me yet. I'm sticking with it though because I still really want to learn it! It is just a lot more difficult than I had ever imagined it would be!
Plus, the Deaf culture is fascinating! That this culture has their own history and folklore is amazing. The more I find out, the more I want to learn the language. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Grandma B said...

You will do great Holly. ASL has always fascinated me. Hang in there, before you know it the semester will be finished and you will be signing like a pro.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY !!!!

Rebecca said...

Holly, it will "click" for you, because you are incredibly talented; I've never seen you try something you haven't mastered; you have a tremendously positive attitude, which is half the battle; and - I can already tell it is "clicking" for you.
I will also add a prayer for your success.
Love you, B

The Graham Family said...

Good luck! You can teach me when you are done. :) Love you so much!

anita lindgreen said...

that is so cool i always wanted to learn sign languge. you are so lucky and i think you'll do great