Friday, May 16, 2008

Lydia's 5 Year Check-up


(I'll be posting about Disneyland soon. But first...)

I took Lydia in for her 5 year check-up with Dr. McKenna today. Everything went well, except that she has scoliosis. It is not bad enough to treat at this age. He said she has a 7-10 degree curve. They usually don't treat children unless they have at least a 20 degree curve. He wants to check her again in 6 months and possibly have some x-rays taken. He said that before and during puberty, when she has a big growth spurt, she will probably have to wear a brace. I'm sure that won't be very fun for her, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

On a lighter note, she had a hilarious conversation with the Dr. that I just have to share! This is how it went...

Dr: Lydia, do you know what the first thing we have to do in a car before we can drive anywhere is?

Lydia: Yes! Pay for it!

Dr: Well, yes, but what do we do when we get in the car?

Lydia: We drive around and try not to get in an accident.

Dr: Yes, but what do we have to wear when we are in the car?

Lydia: I know! Clothes!

Ha Ha! Eventually she got it but the Dr. and I were cracking up the whole time!

2 comments:

Grandma B said...

what a cute imagination...sorry about the spine...but hopefully it won't progress to much more. mary's daughter brooke had the same thing...and she is ok now. if my memory serves me, brooke wore a brace for awhile also.

hope everything is going alright for you and your family. LOL

dayna said...

ha ha! guess what--i had/have scoliosis too but didn't know it until my 'surgery' two years ago. my rib cage is crooked, one hip is higher than the other, and my spine is curved...somehow i turned out okay and no one can tell, except the doctor. now that i know, i 'see' it all the time. weird huh!